12 December, 2010

Gleetles

There was some recent controversy about how the television show "Glee" had somehow surpassed the music accomplishments of The Beatles. Pft.

I think it was that they topped their record for most hit singles. Okay...are they serious? I don't care how many hits this television show has had. A fictional show cannot be better than the guys that changed the entire world. No one considers the Partridge Family to be an actual band, so may I ask what the difference is with THIS fictional television program? Next, how many of these Glee hits did the actual singers of these songs compose themselves? Oh wait...they imitate people like Madonna and Britney Spears. It's not any of their own material at all, is it?

Did all of these Glee hits become hits because people got into their cars, onto their bikes, or caught a bus down to the local record shop? Did they drop a fairly significant amount of cash once they were done waiting in line and then leave the store with a physical product? No. They most likely hit "download" on iTunes in the comfort their own home for only $0.99! It's easy to make that kind of decision. It's really easy to click on a button and have a song that you may or may not care too deeply about owning stored onto your computer. [Of course, this iTunes method has now been applied to the Beatles themselves, but that's another two-sided rant for another day...]

I love that there is a television show promoting music [good or bad, there's no escaping that] and that has even embraced their "rivals," The Beatles. I am glad that these kids have talent and are having fun. I am NOT knocking on the show or its fans at all. I'm knocking on the people who love to see the best get "dethroned" by trying to compare bubblegum to a steak dinner. I like bubblegum and steak, and I have a lot more bubblegum than steak in my life, but when you compare them...c'mon! Everybody wants the steak...unless you're a vegetarian, but you know what I mean! :]

1 comment:

BeatleNut9 said...

PS: Hasn't the population quadrupled since then as well? That obviously makes a HUUUGE difference too!

Post a Comment