04 June, 2014

The Dave Clark Five

I wish I would have composed this right after I watched the documentary I'm referencing, but I didn't have time after it was over. I guess it was 2 months ago now that it came on television…I think it was called "Glad All Over."

Every documentary has to sell whatever message it's trying to sell. It has to achieve its purpose as best it can. However, there was much said in this documentary that made me unhappy. They took embellishment to a whole new level! Look…I adore The DC5 very much, but this film kept trying to put them on the same level as The Beatles! They never have or ever will be more popular than The Beatles. They never have or ever could be more talented than The Beatles. They didn't even write their music, and if they did, it wasn't much or many! The only member that even had charisma was Mike. Yes, they were very talented musicians and they're definitely one of my all-time favorites, but I hate the idea that anyone ever watched that film and now thinks they're comparable bands. Why can't they refrain from comparisons and just talk about how wonderful they were?


The funniest thing that the documentary kept pushing and pushing was how many times they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show! They appeared on the show 18 times and the Beatles only were on 4 times. How is this an accomplishment worth bragging about? The Beatles were on 3 times in a row and came back 1 more time the following year. After their 1st month visiting the USA in 1964, they pretty much moved onto much bigger and better things! Clearly, the DC5 never moved on or had anything better to do than to do the same show repeatedly. THAT is why they were on so many times, I suspect. I'm not bashing them at all. I love them. However, I found that fact to be more embarrassing than anything. There's nothing wrong with revisiting a show, but it sounds like they never got past that level of success.


I would just like to note that I watched "Catch Us If You Can" for the 1st time tonight. I've wanted to see it for a very long time! I don't want to say that I didn't like it, but I can't say that I did. I'd be content to never see it again. It's certainly no "AHDN," but I love them for what/who they are. If you get a chance to watch the documentary or already have, please add your commentary. If I see it again, I'll add more as a comment so that I can be more specific and quote from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment